Raspberry Buttermilk Bran Muffins
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Ready In: 40 min
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup buttermilk*
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup brown sugar**
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup berries (blueberries/raspberries***/strawberries***)
* If you don't have buttermilk on hand, pour 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar into a 1 cup measure. Add milk until you have 1 cup total liquid. Let stand for 10 minutes.
** Loosely packed
*** Chopped into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. In a large bowl, mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla. Add to buttermilk/bran mixture.
4. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended.
5. Gently stir in berries and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.