I should start this by saying I am soooooo picky when it comes to flush mount / semi-flush mount ceiling fixtures. I can honestly say that I only sort of like about 2% of all of them. The other 98% of them are just so ugly to me.
I've been looking online alot lately, since the light in our master bedroom was in serious need of some serious updating.
Proof? Here it was:
The style that I seem to be digging for the bedrooms lately is the semi-flush mount schoolhouse lights. Kind of like these.
|Rejuvenation - $135 + taxes, shipping, duties & customs|
|Schoolhouse Electric - $119 + taxes, shipping, duties & customs|
They're cute right?
Except I just get so nervous to order anything online when it costs so much money for the light plus the taxes, plus the shipping, plus the duties and customs fees.
So when I saw this light at Lowe's....... we went for it. It was $33. $33!!!
|Lowes - $33|
We had a Lowe's giftcard saved from Christmas so it was kind of like it was free. Ooooh, I like free.
Alex installed it on the weekend to mixed reviews.
I like the contrast of the dark shade with the light walls and trim, plus it matches the bed colour. I think the size works well in the room. It isn't too big or too small. I also like how the shade is closed (no more dust bunnies up there, yay).
However, the overall quality of the fixture is kind of cheap (yeah, I know, that's what you get for $33). The finish is a little glossier than I would have liked, the shade is a bit wobbly and doesn't seem to attach securely to the base. Also, the maximum bulb wattage is 75W so the overall light source is kind of dim.
So, what to do, what to do?
Keep it 'cause it was basically free and still looks pretty cute OR splurge for a better-quality, more expensive light?
Oh, these decisions are hard for a Monday night after going back to work. It's so past my bedtime. :)