I woke up this morning with an urge to bake some sort of yummy treat. I looked at a few cinnamon bun recipes but was too impatient to do the whole dough-rising-all-day thing.
Translation: hungry for sugary breakfast.
I headed over to Foodgawker to see what I could find. What I did find was a delicious looking recipe for Cinnamon Roll Muffins. The instructions were simple and the baking time was only 15 minutes - I was sold.
Cinnamon Roll Muffins
Recipe Source: The Comfort of Cooking
Makes: 12 Muffins
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1% milk + 1 tbsp vinegar)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 to 3-1/2 cups flour (I used 3 cups)
2 tbsp butter, room temperature
2/3 cups brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp milk or cream
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Measure the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla and egg into a mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk. Add the flour. Stir until thoroughly combined.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or two. Roll the dough into a 12-inch by 24-inch rectangle. Using a rubber spatula, spread with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
4. Roll the dough into a log and stretch slightly. Cut into two-inch pieces and put the pieces into greased muffin tins or muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. (Mine were ready after 13 minutes.) Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes, and then remove from the muffin tins.
6. Drizzle with icing (if using).
Note: Eating two in a row might cause you a bit of a belly-ache.
That's how rich and gooey they are. :)