So this project was pretty simple. It still took me a week to do it but I'm pretty sure it's just because I like the look of craft clutter all over the house.
Speaking of craft clutter I'm pretty much in love with my glue gun. Aaaaaand that was random.
So. I lugged a two-shelf bookcase into Cooper's bedroom a few weeks ago and found six baskets to fit inside. It was looking cute but plain. I thought some chalkboard tags on each basket would be a fun and easy little project to, you know, spice things up a little.
I hit up Michael's and found two packages of thin wooden rectangle things. (I was a bit of an eager beaver and started opening the package before I took a picture of it.)
They came in packs of four so I had two extras just in case I messed up. It has been awhile since I've used a power tool after all.
I used Alex's cordless drill to drill a hole in each corner of the wood.
Each hole was a half inch from either edge.
Once I had four holes drilled in one piece of wood, I used it as a template for all of the other pieces.
I thought it was pretty awesome when I found the section with chalkboard paint at Michael's and there were other colours besides black! Gotta love Martha.
They had some bright colours which would have been fun to use in a different room. However neutral-Jo (that's me) went with a medium grey to match the pewter and brushed nickel in Cooper's room.
I painted three coats of the chalkboard paint right onto the wood. Primer? Who needs it when you're lazy like me. Once the three coats of paint dried (with the help of my hairdryer) I conditioned the wood all over with a piece of white chalk. Instead of wiping it completely clean, I left a bit of chalk residue behind. To make 'em look used or something.
Next, I pulled out my roll of jute twine. Love that stuff. You know I can't do a project without it, right?
I fed the twine through the back of the first hole and left enough so that I would be able to tie some knots.
I tied two knots on the first end.
Now, here is the tricky part. I originally wanted to feed the back of the twine through the wood and through the basket to adhere the tags but the spaces in between the basket weaves weren't big enough. So, I fed the back of the twine through another hole and tied it off with another two knots.
I did the same on the other side so that I had four knots at the front of my wooden tag.
Then I trimmed the twine.
Finally, I practiced my primary printing and wrote some labels on the tags!
I forgot to take pictures of the last step but I whipped out my trusty glue gun and glued the tags right onto each basket. All I needed was some thin strips on each length of twine at the back. The glue comes off pretty easily if I ever get tired of the tags and want to take them off.
I was planning on getting a few more pictures however someone was finished pulling all the pajamas out of the bottom dresser drawer and came over to investigate.
I guess he wasn't impressed that the baskets were empty. Heh heh heh. :)
The Creative Spark @ Clean and Scentsible, Blog Link Party @ Somewhat Simple, Hookin' Up With House of Hepworths @ House of Hepworths, Fabulously Creative Friday Link Party @ Jennifer Rizzo, Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch to Yours, Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage, Inspire My Please @ Liz Marie Blog, Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest